Monday, December 15, 2014

Sahara: Unveiling A Tuareg Man's Face


In 1965, accepting me as a member of his family, a noble Kel Rela Tuareg took off his veil and let me photograph him without it under his tent. This surprised even his grandsons, who had never seen his full face. Their surprise made his younger sister behind them laugh. It surprised me too, of course. And the man may have been smiling over his audacity.
     Like Tuareg men often do, he had shaved the front part of his long hair to mitigate the heat generated by his tagilmust, or turban veil. His hands were blue from the heavy indigo dye of his robe, which comes off like that of carbon paper and has earned the Tuareg the name of Blue People.
     The Kel Rela are originally from the Sahara’s Ahaggar Mountains in southern Algeria. However, dwindling pastures there had pushed them south to txhe Sahara’s Tamesna region of Niger.
To view more Tuareg photos on this blog, write the word in the search box.
All the photographs of this blog are copyrighted.
No usage permitted without prior authorization.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Victor, I've been looking for you so much Please ask me this is my grandfather, whom I photographed in the desert of Niger. I am the son of Atka

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victor, I've been looking for you so much Please ask me this is my grandfather, whom I photographed in the desert of Niger. I am the son of Atka

    ReplyDelete